Can't Find a Supervisor

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 17 02:32:45 UTC 2008

On 05/16/2008 07:19 PM, Joseph wrote:

> NoOp wrote:

> Noop wrote:
>> I know that you've already gotten it installed, but for future
>> reference here is the command that you _should_ have used:
>>
>> $ sudo dpkg -i avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb
>

> Answered or not, I appreciate all the help I can get.  I have one
> question....   What does the '-i' tell it to do?

When you wish to install a debian package (*.deb) directly, you use dpkg
rather than 'apt-get install". The '-i' means install. So in this case
you are telling dpkg to install avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb. If you
open a terminal window and enter:

man dpkg

you will find information on the different options dpkg uses.

Also have a look at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware
[Using dpkg to install packages]
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/