Computer loosing time

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri May 16 14:50:35 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:

> Thanks all for the suggestion.. Unfortunately, after a grueling surgery
> to replace my power supply, there is no change.  The system clocks still
> looses about 5 seconds per hour (note that the CMOS clock remains on the
> right time, which can be verified with hwclock -r)
>
> Both power supply (the old and the new) check out ok in the BIOS and on
> a power supply tester.

Oops, it looks as though opening the Gnome Adjust Time and Date Dialog
by itself will delay the clock by a second, which is why I still seemed
to be loosing time.  (Schroedinger's cat anyone?).  Since having
replaced my power supply, my clock no longer looses time on it's own
overnight, (and a hard drive that was always doing some kind of re-sync
grind, which I used to assume was thermal calibration, is no longer
making those strange noises.)

Thank you Albert and David for your perfect diagnosis on limited
information :)