from fedora to ubuntu

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri May 16 11:44:57 UTC 2008

Nat Gross wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM, debian <debiani386 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 19:32 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>>
>>> Hi;
>>> After many years on Fedora and Redhat, I am considering jumping ship.
>>> My immediate concern of course is how quickly I can get up to speed with ubuntu.
>>> Is there a document that details fundamental differences for folks
>>> coming from fedora?
>>> For example, can I use yum out of the box? More importantly is the
>>> location of key files and directories off /etc, etc. [pun intended].
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> nat
>>>
>> Note(1): Ubuntu has 'yum' in the repository, but to get it, you need to
>> type:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install yum
>>
>> note(2): Ubuntu uses aptitude, which installs deb files from a
>> repository or a list of repositories found in /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> i hope this is of some help.
>>

> Yes, it is.
> Thank you much.
> Nat

    I too went from Fedora to Ubuntu. It is a good move if you want
things to work. In Fedora your worried about the Red Hat server versions
that are making money for the company. Here your getting a Linux that is
actually EASY to install, and it works well.

    And I never have found a use for yum on Ubuntu :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User