Debian or Ubuntu?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu May 15 05:49:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 02:34 -0300, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> I never bothered to dig on what exactly upgrade-manager
> (or u-m-core) does, but I know (from this list and something I read
> somewhere) that there might  exceptions scripted for the upgrade, that
> even aptitude won't be able to guess.
>
> This is specially true because Ubuntu changes a lot faster than
> Debian, and I suspect (speculate) that it's easier to bypass known
> dependency hickups with a scriptable workable upgrade path, than
> making it all morally perfect for each and every package.

I doubt u-m does anything at all that you can't do in a manual upgrade.
But if you are going the manual way, _you are responsible for managing
all the minor and major hiccups on the way.

I dunno what happened in Steve's case, maybe something weird is going on
that would also have happened had he used u-m. I just object to
"dist-upgrade in Debian always worked without a hitch, so it should be
good enough for Ubuntu". The premise is just now true, and the
conclusion misses the point.