Virtual disk recovery [was: Virtualbox: expanding the size of a virtual disk]

David Armour d.f.armour at shaw.ca
Wed May 14 21:00:12 UTC 2008

>> Before upgrading to Hardy a couple of weeks back, I was using both
>> Virtualbox and VMWare (server) to take a look at various
>> distributions (LinuxMint, DreamLinux, Hardy-beta, etc.)
>>
>> Since the up-grade, however, only VirtualBox shows up on the
>> Applications/System Tools listing, and I initially read that Hardy
>> was missing a couple of components [paraphrasing] that VMWare needed.
>> Since then, I've found one way to (re-)install VMWare on Hardy:
>> [http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/05/03/install-vmware-server-105-on-ubuntu-804-hardy/]
>>

>> But because I definitely no longer need the space for the Hardy-beta
>> trial, I still want that hard-drive space back! <snip>
>
> A) I've been downloading and installing the latest beta of VMWare
> server from Vmware.  It uninstalls the old Vmware and the betas have
> been working for me on my Hardy install, but be aware that it is very
> different in interface from the previous versions...this one is
> web-based.
>
> B) If you want the space back, just delete the folder in which you had
> the virtual machine and you'll reclaim your hard drive space.  The
> default install area was something like /var/lib/vmware/Virtual
> Machines, under that were individual directories for each VM.

Thank the relelvant deity-like entity for your reply! Both for the
reassurance of A), and for memory-jogging of B). I was sure I'd seen
something along B)'s lines in the backwash of my ordinary daily surfing,
but I'd encountered the info when I still couldn't locate the folder, so
the advice was mute, as they say in Langford.

Thanks v. much for your message!