rsync

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed May 14 20:50:58 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
>     This is old hat to the guys running 27 servers for someones company,
> but for me it was new and needed. I have been backing up my system
> (7.10) for months to a hard drive that lives in a $20.00 plastic case
> with power supply and a USB cord using rsync and it IS slick how it
> finds the new stuff and adds it to the system already on the hard drive.
> But I have never recovered the saved system and have been wondering...
>
>     So yesterday I rsync copied this system to the second hard drive on
> this computer. It took about an hour to do but it took longer to boot
> the dam thing. But I got it from an earlier problem with Windows on a
> SATA drive. The IDE drive is /dev/hda and the SATA drive is /dev/sda. As
> far as grub is concerned /dev/hda = /dev/sda = (hd0,x). here is the
> important part:
>

> title           Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
>         map (hd0) (hd1)
>         map (hd1) (hd0)
> root            (hd1,0)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
> root=UUID=a9c1cb61-ddfd-44f6-88b0-6dc976daf9ca ro quiet
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
> quiet
>
>     So now I can boot the rsync version on the SATA hard drive and it
> works just fine. And that lets me know what to do if I need to re-load
> this system on a new hard drive or another computer. I just rsync it
> onto the new devise.

I can't imagine any reason why the map commands would be required for
Linux.  If you only have 1 hard drive in the system, root should be
(hd0,0) and away to go.

Remember that when you rsync onto a new drive (or use your backup drive
directly, whatever floats your boat) you need to edit both /etc/fstab
and /boot/grub/menu.lst to update the UUID's.