converting .swf to .mpg

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Wed May 14 15:07:09 UTC 2008

On 05/14/2008 02:27 AM, Leo Cacciari wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 14/05/2008 alle 09.51 +1000, Rutger van Haasteren ha
> scritto:
>
>>         Normally, to set up a script to be run by cron daily, you just
>>         put it
>>         under /etc/cron.daily.
>>
>> I understand. But it seems very quick 'n dirty to just put a shell
>> script with one command in that directory. What would you recommend?
>>

> Quick & Dirty? I found this neat and smart! :) The basic idea is that
> there is an action already scheduled daily, which simply consist into:
> "go to the /etc.cron.daily directory, find all executable files there
> (with some restriction on their names, see the run-parts man page) and
> run them in order. This means you don't have to run crontab each time
> you want to change a daily (or weekly, or hourly or monthly) task.
>
> Thus, I'd recommend to do just that, add a script there. Follow the
> pattern in the others already there. Remember that cron jobs are run
> with very restrictive settings, thus be sure to set in your script or
> program all environment variables you need.
>
> Enjoy

I found in /etc/cron.daily a script titled "dlocate" with the following
contents
================
#! /bin/sh

DPKGLIST=/var/lib/dlocate/dpkg-list

# exit if dlocate is uninstalled but not purged
test -x /usr/sbin/update-dlocatedb || exit 0
# update dlocate database
/usr/sbin/update-dlocatedb >/dev/null

# update 'dlocate -l' emulation
LINES=40 COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l "*" | sed -e '1,5d' -e 's/  */ /g' >$DPKGLIST

not sure it makes sense to me why it calls for writing update-dlocatedb
to /dev/null
seems pointless, but then I don't know what the last line does either.