can't seem to get openssh-*

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Wed May 14 02:22:35 UTC 2008

Karl Auer wrote:
> I now suspect that the packages openssh-client and openssh-server were
> NOT installed at all before I tried to upgrade them. Because I clearly
> DID have the sshd server and the ssh client installed, I assumed it was
> from packages with those names. How can I check this theory?

    They were, otherwise they would not have been kept back.  If you're ever
in doubt:
dpkg -l | grep {package}

    IE:

{grey at mania:~} dpkg -l | grep ssh
ii  kdessh                               4:3.5.9-1                        ssh
frontend for KDE
ii  openssh-client                       1:4.7p1-2
secure shell client, an rlogin/rsh/rcp repla
ii  openssh-server                       1:4.7p1-2
secure shell server, an rshd replacement
ii  ssh                                  1:4.7p1-2
secure shell client and server (metapackage)

    If there is a file you're not sure where it came from, dpkg -S file.  IE:

{grey at mania:~} which ssh
/usr/bin/ssh
{grey at mania:~} dpkg -S `which ssh`
openssh-client: /usr/bin/ssh

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |   And dream I do...