time zone, request

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Wed May 14 02:00:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 19:45 +0200, Thilo Six wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote the following on 13.05.2008 18:50
>
> > On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 14:09 +0000, Nik N wrote:
> >> I'm objecting to how the installer is
> >> put together, based on the naive notion that:
> > <snip>
> >
> > Maybe you used the wrong installer? The Desktop CD is simple with a
> > reason, 4 questions to a working OS and applications. If you need
> > control, use the Alternate CD.
>
> I just want to add:
> If you have a dumb OS installed (not capable handling UTC) and run d-i from
> the alternate CD it will detect this and will install a local time for you.
>
> That is by design and although i never used the live CD installer i assume it
> has a similar logic.
>
> Apart from that there at least had been such thing you are looking for:
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Ubuntu_Installation#head-c99bb2223c07cfa828ae42c770b26d31c4c820aa
>
> So i suggest you to search launchpad, find the bugreport(s) about removing
> this question and add you complaints there.
> --
> bye Thilo
>
> key: 0x4A411E09

Hey Thilo
Thanks for your link !
Form, native language (Swiss-) German it's an intersting one !!
For the English speaking community it will not be sooo helpfull !? ;-)

Well, I do have somewhat like a time zone problem too !!!

Even with German being my native language, all my OS'es and its
applications are always English.
Other languages are only accepted in very very special and for really
good reasons.

As locale, however not being / living there anymore, I always set
Switzerland,
because of the used locale settings and i.e. the external Swiss KBD with
Umlauts.
All our systems, by default, do have Swiss KBD's too.

I would love to find out and learn to understand better the best
settings in this ! ;-)

Long ago I had some, unfortunately not so nice - or quite messy,
experience
while trying to get this done ...
... when I travelled a lot with timezones changing from GMT+1/2 to GMT+8
to GMT-8 etc !!!

Nowadays, retired, I am not jumping from timezones to timezones
anymore. ;-D
Sometimes for overseas journeys to topic still comes up again once in a
while:

So timezone UTC would be a constant and fixed coordinate.
Date & time can easily being checked with an application like a world
clock !?

But:
How is the timestamps to e-mails and mailing lists ???

The topic seems quite much more complex than timezone's only !!! ;-D
Cheers, svobi