How to modify menu.lst

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Wed May 14 01:33:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 11:10 -0400, elmo wrote:
> James Taji wrote:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM, elmo <elmo at ne.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >>  If the changes you want to make are to be accepted by menu.lst, you
> >>  should prepare menu.lst before starting to make these changes     Use a
> >>  terminal and type in;    chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.ls,   Thereafter,
> >>  any changes you make in menu.lst will be accepted on a save command.
> >>

> > This is rather bad advice to recommend making any system files world
> > writeable. Permissions on system files do not generally need to be
> > modified, instead one should use sudo before the editing command to
> > gain root privileges, e.g.:
> >
> > sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >
> > or preferably:
> >
> > sudoedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >
> > If a gui editor is desired then use gksudo, eg.:
> >
> > gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >

> I've been doing it the way I posted for quite a while because it worked
> and so far haven't had any problem.   However,
> I'll start doing it the sudo way from now on, just in case.  Thanks.
> elmo

Hi Elmo, and all others too
Thanks for your efforts and support !
Well. my problem isn't how and with what to edit !!

My problem, as newbie, is more lacking of experience in the correct
content
and the respective parameters an its functions inside menu.lst !!!

It's nothing very important and I am able to get along easily without
modifications. ;-D

My intention is more to learn how to get either this or that,
especially with one system I do have and the other system doesn't.
So I hope / wish to get both systems working alike !! ;-))

Without knowing and foreseeing the results I am not risking
anything ! ;-D

Cheers, svobi