Debian or Ubuntu?

Tue May 13 08:23:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:10:13 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you give an example of something that is worse in Ubuntu than Debian
> for servers?  That is, if you didn't already have Debian would there be
> a reason to use it?

Not really, having never used a *buntu server edition. I don't know how different they are.

Last time I looked, which was 6.06 vs 3.1, Debian packages seemed more stable, Debian security advisories seemed more in-depth and the Debian users lists were far more 'technical' - the conversations were more about server problems than users getting used to how Linux works.

This tends to be quite a pattern, IME. Ubuntu howto's are for things like hibernation, dual boot, Windows integration and your normal 'dektop' stuff. Debian howtos are for integration into MSAD, configuring MTAs, etc. I know the support is generally very cross-compatible, but if Debian and Ubuntu were exactly the same, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Also, I prefer the Debian logo. No idea why.

--
Avi Greenbury