Debian or Ubuntu?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue May 13 05:34:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 01:23 -0400, "Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:
> In two cases, I did what I thought were my regular security upgrades
> and ended up actually doing a Feisty-to-Gutsy upgrade.

Urgh, it looks like the Update Manager should make the difference more
clear.

>  It was so smooth that I didn't know I'd done a complete distro
> upgrade until a couple of weeks later!  <snip>

The upgrade window that ticks off several steps and the fact that it
took hours were no clue? :)

> I suspect that the distro-upgrade problems that Ubuntu had were simply
> growing pains that are pretty much resolved now.  As someone else
> noted, Debian was not without its own challenges when it was still
> young.

On the other hand, a Dapper -> Hardy upgrade that I performed yesterday
started with serious issues related to language packs. The Update
Manager reported that it can't calculate the upgrade. This was easily
fixed manually, but for a lot of users would have ended the upgrade
right there.