How to modify menu.lst

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue May 13 05:11:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 19:52 -0400, James Taji wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM, elmo <elmo at ne.rr.com> wrote:
> >  If the changes you want to make are to be accepted by menu.lst, you
> >  should prepare menu.lst before starting to make these changes     Use a
> >  terminal and type in;    chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.ls,   Thereafter,
> >  any changes you make in menu.lst will be accepted on a save command.
>
> This is rather bad advice to recommend making any system files world
> writeable. Permissions on system files do not generally need to be
> modified, instead one should use sudo before the editing command to
> gain root privileges, e.g.:
>
> sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> or preferably:
>
> sudoedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> If a gui editor is desired then use gksudo, eg.:
>
> gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> --
> James Taji

Hi James,
You got it really correct !
I am able and doing sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst ... that's not the
problem !! ;-D
Had attached the present menu.lst to show how it currently looks !!! ;-|

The 2 only things I want to get is following:

1st. After the 3 Ubuntu entries and above "Other operating systems:"
I would like to have a long line !

As a greenhorn / newbie I feel insecure to modify it and
risking some malfunction !?

I only need the advice / guidance how to split the upper (Ubuntu) part
remain visible and
the rest, like following, invisible:

Other operating systems:
M$ WinXP PRO SP3

That's all & TIA for hints and suggestions ! ;-)

Cheers, svobi

PS: Unfortunately I am unable to provide the respective menu.lst again
just now
because the notebook is out of the house now, sorry ! ;-(