time zone, request

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon May 12 07:16:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 01:38 +0000, Nik N wrote:
> I am sure I can't be the only one who travels a lot with the laptop and prefers
> to keep the computer time at UTC, regardless of the physical location
> one is at.
> It surprises me that in the installation procesdrure, I can't simply
> say: THIS MACHINE IS TO OPERATE ON UTC time, its geographical location
> has nothing to do with machine time.

Are you talking about the BIOS time, or the time that is visible to the
user?

Because, having the BIOS time set to UTC is the Unix way, and Linux has
recommended this forever. However, Windows cannot deal with UTC in the
BIOS, and therefore IIRC Ubuntu assumes the BIOS is in local time only
if is Windows present.

If you are talking about the time that is being presented to the user,
well, you can set it so that you are in UTC.