strange 'emacs -nw' in gnome-terminal

Yuelin Li liy12 at mskcc.org
Mon May 12 01:09:23 UTC 2008

After upgrading to ubuntu 8.04, I noticed something unexpected when
I run "/usr/bin/emacs -nw --no-site" in gnome-terminal.  It happens
when I type something like the following string:

123456 1234567 1234567 1234567 1234567 1234567 1234567 1234...

Strangely, I get cursor-colored rectangles at where the spaces are.
It looks as though emacs fails to refresh the cursor at the tab stops,
leaving wholes in the text.  Manual redraw of the screen (Ctrl-L)
solves it.  But this is annoying because emacs is my editor for mutt.

Help is appreciated.  Is this a problem in gnome-terminal, emacs, or me?

Yuelin.

p.s., I am running stock packages of Emacs 22.1.1 and
      gnome-terminal 2.22.1, TERM=xterm

     communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If
     computer.