[LTS Upgrde] Login Screen Resolution issues

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 11 17:52:29 UTC 2008

On 05/11/2008 03:38 AM, Patrick Drechsler wrote:

> Thanks for the help Michele, I adapted xorg.conf to include

> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"Default Screen"
> 	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
> 	Device		"Configured Video Device"
> 	DefaultDepth  24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     24
> 		Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> then rebooted the system. But sadly the login screen is still displayed
> with the wrong resolution (looks like 800x600 instead of
> 1280x1024). Again, the normal session is displayed correctly.
>
> Any other ideas?

>From my response on the recent "Hardy Upgrade":

====
On 05/01/2008 04:42 PM, Fred Schuelzky wrote:
[snip]
> > 	The only thing that I have noticed not being right is my login screen,
> > the resolution is way off and I can't see the session change icon.
> > 	Has anyone heard of this before and how can I straighten it out
> >
> > TIA
> > Fred

Yes. Happens to me as well.

In your xorg.conf (gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf), you may have to
modify the virtual settings. For example:

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Virtual	1280	1024

on this monitor and the login screen is fine. However, on my other
system, Virtual	1280 1024 causes the login screen to do exactly as you
describe. So on that system, I've modified to:

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Virtual	1024	768

Try that (adjusting for your monitor of course). To test, just select
switch user, then you don't need to log out etc each time to test.
====