[LTS Upgrde] Login Screen Resolution issues

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sun May 11 17:28:46 UTC 2008

Patrick Drechsler wrote:

> then rebooted the system. But sadly the login screen is still displayed
> with the wrong resolution (looks like 800x600 instead of
> 1280x1024). Again, the normal session is displayed correctly.

I've yet to get this method to work for me, but it may be of use to you.

This requires the use of console and command line, so I hope you have
passing familiarity with them.  If not, you may need more personal
assistance.

First, exit gdm entirely.. When your computer boots, switch to console
with the Ctrl_Alt_F1 key combo, and log in.

Just to make the rest easier, I break Ubuntu tradition and switch to
root.  sudo -i will do the trick.. you can, of course, preface all
commands with sudo instead.

Stop gdm.  In theory, "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" should do it.  In the one
notebook I've updated to Hardy, gdm resists all attempts to close it
properly, so in my case, I use "killall -9 gdm"

Once gdm is no longer running, run "xinit"  That should open X with
absolutely nothing running but an xterm window.  Note that in Default X,
window focus follows the mouse cursor, so you have to move the mouse
cursor into the xterm box to type in it.

If the display is not at the resolution you want, run
"displayconfig-gtk", which should provide a GUI to change monitor
resolution and refresh rates.  Adjust as needed.

When you are done with display-gtk, exit X (type exit in the xterm box,
or press Ctl_Alt_Backspace key combo) and start xinit again.  When X is
configured properly, xinit should start in the desired resolution.

Once you have xinit working at the correct resolution, you can reboot
your computer, and gdm should start correctly.  If gdm is still
operating in the wrong resolution, then it's something in the gdm config
 that is forcing the resolution change.  To my knowledge, however, gdm
should be using the default X resolution, same as xinit.

I hope this helps resolve your issues.