I need some advice on BIG external storage units

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun May 11 03:40:23 UTC 2008

Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF] wrote:

> Not a problem with mine....
> BTW: I normally format them NTFS, that generally works with every system
> I've thrown them at, while ext3 or other *nix/*nux filesystems aren't
> recognized by Windoze...

While that may not be a problem in your situation, I would note that
there are situations I've run into where NTFS is mounted read-only.
NTFS drivers for Linux have relatively recently migrated to being RW
with stability.

For cross-platform use, I'd first recommend using FAT32.  Everything and
their cousin reads and writes to it but it does have security problems.
  In select cases I've encapsulated filesystems in other files to
preserve metadata (DMG images for the Mac, for example) so they can be
stored on FAT32.

EXT3 is usually my next choice just because I can run Linux from boot
discs and Linux is my primary OS when possible.

It really depends on your primary need and usage.