Really New to Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 10 18:51:59 UTC 2008

On 05/10/2008 09:35 AM, Ron Schwartz wrote:
> I'm am trying to try out ubuntu to see if I like it and am having
> bunches of problems.  I want to try the version that allows me to run
> it from a CD/DVD without having to install it on my PC.  I first
> downloaded the version 8.04 desktop ISO.  The instructions say to
> burn it to a 700 MB CD.  The problem is that the file is larger than
> 700 MB, so it won't fit.  I performed the procedure for verifying the
> download and it is fine.  I burned the ISO to a DVD (+RW), but it
> didn't burn correctly as all I get is the unexpanded file on the DVD.
> Do I need to burn it to a DVD +R instead? I am in the process of
> downloading the Alternate desktop version as it is a little smaller
> file.  At this point, I'm not sure I'm downloading the right file at
> all.  It seems to me the only choice I have is to download a version
> that installs on my PC and I don't want to do that just yet. Where do
> I go from here? Ron Schwartz

http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/
Download the Desktop CD version - not the DVD:

====
Desktop CD

The desktop CD allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer
at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This type of
CD is what most people will want to use. You will need at least 384MB of
RAM to install from this CD.

There are two images available, each for a different type of computer:

PC (Intel x86) desktop CD
    For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc
type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as
well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors. Choose
this if you are at all unsure.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso

64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD
    Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64
or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2). If
you have a non-64-bit processor made by AMD, or if you need full support
for 32-bit code, use the Intel x86 images instead.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso
====

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see additional
options for torret or jigdo downloads. There are no DVD options on that
page, so you won't have to worry about downloading a DVD sized file.

For burning the iso, please see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

You might find Wubi of interest; it is an installer that allows you to
install Ubuntu directly in your Windows system just as you would a
standard windows application program:
http://wubi-installer.org/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide