My laptop can't shutdown correctly

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 10 18:04:19 UTC 2008

On 05/10/2008 12:18 AM, Ericson Zang wrote:
> Thanks for all the help.
> Unfortunately, I did this:
>
> Do sudo gedit /etc/modules. Add the following line, then save:
> apm power_off=1
> do sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst (where the l is a lower case L). Find the
> line that start with "kernel" and add this onto the end, no carriage return,
> all on the same line which probably wraps over:
> acpi=off apm=power_off
> then save.
>
> and problem remains. Maybe I should report this as a Bug?

Yes, but before you do you should first:

1. Search the bug list to see if it's already been reported - sample:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=cannot+shut+down&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=>

2. Review these, and gather the proper information to submit with your
report:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingACPI
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOMEPowerManager

You might also find this helpful & maybe bookmark for later reference:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeamBugPolicies?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=debugging&titlesearch=Titles>

Sometimes when reviewing/following the debugging procedures you can find
a hint on how the find the problem yourself.