Hibernation woes

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Sat May 10 17:31:06 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Albert Charron wrote:
>

>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, so typical...  There _isn't_ a distribution problem.  There's a
>>> problem with your configuration.
>>>

>> Derek... can you explain how to configure this to work properly?
>>

> Perhaps.  Understand, I accept there are systems that don't seem to be able
> to hibernate/resume - but Ted's already claimed that he _did_ have it
> working, so I'm certain his can be fixed.  Yours might be harder :-(
>

>> I'm
>> following this thread since I have the exact same problem on both my
>> laptops and my desktop.
>>

> No, you have a problem.  I'd be really surprised if its the same one.
>

>> Hibernate (Standby has the same problem
>> anyways) have never worked as expected on my hardware, with any Ubuntu
>> releases (This works perfectly for me on Doze
>>

> Windows hibernates in a completely different manner.
>

>> and on at least one other
>> Linux distribution). The machine goes to standby or hibernates yes, but
>> there's no way to make the machine usable at the wakeup... most of the
>> time, the only thing I can do is to press and hold the power button to
>> reset the machine. Some times, I manage to go to cli and do a proper
>> reboot...
>>

> Forget "standby" for the moment (and I hope you mean "suspend to RAM" rather
> than "sleep" - sleep is an entirely different mechanism).  It's possible
> that sleep or suspend could merely be turning off your video and failing to
> reset it, so that when you resume you can't (apparently) do anything.
> Going right to shutdown would help diagnose that.
>
> So hibernate your machine.
>
> Then power up again, and boot to single user mode (best to use the "quiet"
> option or you'll see a lot more than I mention below).  Pay close attention
> to the console.  If resume is successful, you won't actually get to
> single-user mode, because it boots the original image, but this method lets
> you see messages normally hidden by the splash screen.
>
> You should see (copied by hand from my console, so excuse errors - the UUID
> and DEVICE words are actual device identifiers on your system):
>  Starting up ...
>  kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by_uuid/UUID) = DEVICE
>  kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by_uuid/UUID
>
> If it then says:
>  kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...
>
> either (a) it hasn't created a hibernate image (seems unlikely - because it
> shouldn't have shut down); (b) DEVICE is not identified correctly; (c) your
> swap partition doesn't have the UUID shown.
>
> otoh, if it says it's resuming from that image, it would seem resume really
> is working - and if you then lose video, it's a video POST problem
> (common).
>
> So compare DEVICE as shown to where you know your swapfile is.  After boot,
> do "swapon -s" and "vol_id" to make sure your swap is where you think it
> is :=)

> [...]
Thanks for your help Derek.  Seems my problem is effectively a video
POST problem. At least on the laptop I made the tests... The swap
partition is correctly identified and the system resumes from it from
what I see following your instructions. I found I can solve the problem
by ssh-ing in and restarting GDM (which isn't very practical).

Do you have any pointer to give me on how to fix this? Should I start a
new thread with this question?

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 195048, 361906