Really New to Ubuntu

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat May 10 17:18:30 UTC 2008

Ron Schwartz wrote:
> I'm am trying to try out ubuntu to see if I like it and am having bunches of problems.  I want to try the version that allows me to run it from a CD/DVD without having to install it on my PC.  I first downloaded the version 8.04 desktop ISO.  The instructions say to burn it to a 700 MB CD.  The problem is that the file is larger than 700 MB, so it won't fit.  I performed the procedure for verifying the download and it is fine.  I burned the ISO to a DVD (+RW), but it didn't burn correctly as all I get is the unexpanded file on the DVD.  Do I need to burn it to a DVD +R instead?
> I am in the process of downloading the Alternate desktop version as it is a little smaller file.  At this point, I'm not sure I'm downloading the right file at all.  It seems to me the only choice I have is to download a version that installs on my PC and I don't want to do that just yet.
> Where do I go from here?
> Ron Schwartz

    There is something wrong with the Windows CD system your using. I
made and have a LiveCD for Gutsie 7.10 and Hardy 8.04. They both work
fine. You can not put an ISO image made for a CD on a DVD. I suggest you
might need newer recordable CD  disks. Old ones could hold less than 700 MB.

     You can buy a CD with either system on it from the Ubuntu web page.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User