How to adjust kernel parameters

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat May 10 07:57:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 20:11 -0400, scott wrote:

> What I want to know is how do I tweak my kernel parameters manually.
>
> In other words, when you compile a kernel, you get the whole kernel
> structure to change options.
>
> How do I do this with my existing kernel?

I'm not sure what you are asking. You can either

      * Pass arguments to your existing kernel on boot (through the grub
        command line), or pass them to modules when they load:
        http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
      * You can change some settings of your existing kernel at runtime
        through /sys and /proc/sys (I didn't find useful online docs for
        that right now)
      * You can recompile your kernel and change lots of things (but
        then it is not your "existing" kernel anymore)
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile