8.04 Wireless Problem (still)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 9 21:10:08 UTC 2008

On 05/08/2008 10:57 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:34 PM, John Toliver <john.toliver at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Oh and John, Kwifimanger couldn't find the card either.
>>>

>> You mentioned you installed from an alternate CD originally, Why?
>>
>> How difficult would it be to reinstall on that partition?  I know it's a
>> last option and all.  I'm not sure how mission critical this laptop working
>> properly is to you, but it might be worth it to reinstall fresh from another
>> CD (carefully burned at a slower speed and verified no errors).  This way
>> you can either confirm or rule out it's an issue with hardy and your
>> wireless card.
>>

> I use the alternate CD out of habit, it wasn't necessary in this case.
> We've been working with older boxes we recycle and found the alternate cd
> more reliable for installations with lesser capacity.  It also allows us to
> use the OEM feature on the alternate cd.  I burned at minimum speed and used
> the check disk feature.
>
> I'm leery of re-installing because this is a dual boot with vista and is
> mission critical.  I can connect hardwire and if I must go wireless I can go
> to the other side, Thats why I know that is something with Hardy.  Using the
> same hardware and access I'm able to connect with MS and with 7.1
>
> Bob

I wonder if this might be related:
[Regression] Realtek RTL-8185 Wifi not recognized in Hardy 8.04 Alpha 5

You might have a look through some of these to see if you can spot
another related bug:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=RealTek+wireless&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=RealTek+Gateway&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=Gateway+wireless&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>