I need some advice on BIG external storage units

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri May 9 21:09:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:05:52PM +0100, John K Masters wrote:
> On 21:54 Fri 09 May     , Chris G wrote:
> > On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:43:30PM +0200, Tom Rausner wrote:
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> > > question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> > > with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> > > Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
> > >
> > What interface?
> >
> > If the drive is going to be connected by USB then you can almost
> > certainly re-format it it EXT3 and it will work like any other mounted
> > drive. I have done exactly this with a Freecom external drive and it
> > works very well.
> >
> > On the other hand if you are attaching the drive via an ethernet
> > interface then it's odds on you will have to use Samba to acces the
> > drive and it will be formatted FAT32.  This was the case with my
> > Freecom drive when I used it via ethernet.  In this case there are
> > some issues because of the limitations of FAT32 and also because of
> > the limitations of the Samba implementation in the NAS box.
> >

> All Buffalo Linkstations are formatted XFS. The option is provided to
> reformat to ext3 or FAT32.
>
> Regards, John (PS I do not work for and have no connection with Buffalo)

That avoids the FAT32 limitations if you're using Ethernet but you
still have the issue of having to use Samba to access the drive and
any limitations of the NAS box Samba implementation.

I believe *some* external drives provide NFS as well as Samba which is
something worth looking for maybe.

--
Chris Green