I need some advice on BIG external storage units

John K Masters johnmasters at oxtedonline.net
Fri May 9 21:01:18 UTC 2008

On 22:43 Fri 09 May     , Tom Rausner wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
>
> Tom Rausner
> tom at tomtech.dk

I've just bought a 1TB Buffalo Linkstation and am finding it excellent.
It's controlled by a minimal Debian system running Samba & CUPS for file
& print sharing, has 2 USB ports to connect more storage or printers and
worked out of the box when I plugged it into my home LAN.

If you don't need/want networking then really just about anything will
do but I would tend to stick with the big names like Western Digital,
Maxtor etc.

But I really recommend the Linkstation.

Regards, John
--
I wish I was young enough to know everything.