I need some advice on BIG external storage units

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri May 9 20:54:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:43:30PM +0200, Tom Rausner wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?

What interface?

If the drive is going to be connected by USB then you can almost
certainly re-format it it EXT3 and it will work like any other mounted
drive. I have done exactly this with a Freecom external drive and it
works very well.

On the other hand if you are attaching the drive via an ethernet
interface then it's odds on you will have to use Samba to acces the
drive and it will be formatted FAT32.  This was the case with my
Freecom drive when I used it via ethernet.  In this case there are
some issues because of the limitations of FAT32 and also because of
the limitations of the Samba implementation in the NAS box.

--
Chris Green