System Security

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Fri May 9 20:11:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Miano, Steven M.
<Steven.Miano at mybrighthouse.com> wrote:

>> Bob - did you alter the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to allow root logins?
>> While I'm not in front of an Ubuntu box at the moment, I can't see that
>> being the default - esp since the root account is disabled.
>

> SSH is not Ubuntu specific, and as such it actually is set to allow root logins as the default. I too don't know why anyone would allow it - however that's how it is. : (

This comes from Debian, which in turn comes from upstream. Apparently,
DD's could not reach a consensus on wether allowing or disallowing
root logins by default, and the policy was to follow upstream (which
allows by default). Google is your friend.

regards
FF