Noob Question

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 9 19:31:57 UTC 2008

On 05/09/2008 06:40 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Alfonso Maschio wrote:
>
>> Thaks for asking Derek, but i only find the ubuntu-users list. Can u pass
>> me the Ubuntu-Sparc mailing list? Thaks a lot.
>> I put noob because i think that instaling in x86 Architecture is as easy
>> to in Sparc, But i can see that is not.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't even aware that Ubuntu _could_ be installed in Sparc.

Previous to Hardy. Older versions have been moved to ports.ubuntu.com[1]:

<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-March/000400.html>

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804
PowerPC and SPARC moved to ports.ubuntu.com

    *

      The PowerPC and SPARC architectures no longer receive commercial
support from Canonical for new releases of Ubuntu (PowerPC as of 7.04,
SPARC as of 8.04), and accordingly these architectures have been moved
to ports.ubuntu.com. Users of these architectures should take care to
update /etc/apt/sources.list. Old sources.list entries looked like this
(perhaps using <country>.archive.ubuntu.com rather than archive.ubuntu.com):

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security main restricted

      while new entries should look like this:

 deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports hardy main restricted
 deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports hardy-security main restricted

http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/
SPARC server install CD
    For Sun UltraSPARC computers, including those based on the multicore
UltraSPARC T1 ("Niagara") processors.

This might be helpful - Threads in Forum : Sun Sparc Users
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=146