Alternate CD Rescue Mode

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu May 8 21:16:49 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/08/2008 05:51 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know of a good reference for using the Alternate CD Rescue Mode
>>> (preferably Gutsy & Hardy). I know that there are powerful utilities
>>> there, but I'd like to find a howto guide for all of the menu's etc.
>>>
>>> I've managed to muddle through the menus... but then again I have a few
>>> spare systems that I can afford to break to the core if need be. I'm
>>> really looking for a solid howto that shows how to use the utilities to
>>> actually "rescue" a broken system without screwing up and losing all the
>>> data or reformating everything -- both for my reference, and for
>>> pointing other folks to.
>>>

>>     I have not seen such a document, but it is certain that a LiveCD of
>> Gutsy and Hardy makes a fine Emergency Disk. A fine instruction on using
>> this Emergency Disk does not exist. I have some stuff I wrote to myself
>> on this. It is available.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> There should be one for the LiveCD as well.
>
> However, the LiveCD will not work on many systems, particularly older
> ones with limited memory & CPU power. Plus, I think the Alternate CD has
> additional utilities on it that the LiveCD does not - I've not compared
> as I don't use the LiveCD, and use Knoppix instead if a LiveCD is needed.

    Your point I think is the Alternate CD has additional utilities the
Live CD does not have. I would like to know what they are.

    The LiveCD provides a root terminal with grub and fdisk and mount is
available.  You can mount the problem system on the LiveCD and do your
things like re-write a menu.lst or  change /etc/X11/xorg.conf to suit
new conditions.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI