Hibernation woes

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Thu May 8 20:44:16 UTC 2008

On Thursday 08 May 2008 11:35:05 am Derek Broughton wrote:

> > For info, here is mine:
> >
> > dell-desktop:~$ free
> >              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> > Mem:       2066040     494400    1571640          0       1588     136804
> > -/+ buffers/cache:     356008    1710032
> > Swap:            0          0          0
> >
> > So if hibernation needs swap, what is my laptop doing?  It goes to a
> > blank screen and to get back on, a pop-up come to request my password
> > then it is just as it was before with all my open apps in place.
>
> So it didn't shut down?  Hibernate goes right to power-off.  What seems to
> have happened here is: it started to hibernate; turned on the screensaver
> password; failed to hibernate; resumed - at which point you now have to
> respond to the screensaver password (this is intentional so that somebody
> else resuming your hibernated system would always need to provide a
> password).

That must be what is happening.  So what it is actually doing is just locking
my desktop rather than hibernating.

> You could try "sudo swapon -a" to see if that finds a swap partition at
> all, otherwise you'll need to create one.

results of that command:

swapon: cannot
canonicalize /dev/disk/by-uuid/52810d5c-61ab-4942-afa2-9e6e953f83
9d: No such file or directory
swapon: cannot stat /dev/disk/by-uuid/52810d5c-61ab-4942-afa2-9e6e953f839d: No
such file or directory

I am not all that comfortable with this system yet and don't know how one
would go about creating a swap partition on this Operating System.  Besides,
I have not found a backup system for this machine yet.  Wouldn't creating a
swap mean I'd have to cut it out of an existing partition?  I'd suspect then
the existing data is in danger of being damaged.  This was a factory install
of 7.10 from directly from Dell and it has no foreign Operating Systems on
it.  It was upgraded to 8.04 on-line using update manager.

> btw, I love your XFace icon :-)

Thank you,  I wanted a simple symbol so in my C=64 days I created that one.
Used it ever since.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org