Hibernation woes

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Thu May 8 17:03:37 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ted Hilts wrote:
>

>> Here is my swap:
>>

>> ted at Ubuntu:~$ swapon -s
>> Filename Type Size Used Priority
>> /dev/sda4 partition 854272 405932 -1
>> ted at Ubuntu:~$
>>
>> Getting close to 1 GByte -- that ought to be enough when nothing is
>> happenning -- that is I emptied the 4 desktops and all that was left
>> were the icons put in place during installation.
>>

> No, that isn't anywhere NEAR enough for a modern system.  The "icons" are
> irrelevant - they're not running programs.  It's the programs that are
> _running_ that matter.
>
>> One big point everyone is missing is that it worked and now it doesn't.
>>

> No, that's definitely not something I missed.  That's exactly why I say you
> have a configuration problem, not a distribution problem.  And in my eyes,
> the configuration problem is precisely that you don't have anywhere near
> enough swap.
>

>> On power up it worked but complained it did not work but it did.
>>

> And you haven't answered my questions about that.
>

>> So far, no one has yet come up with a solution to this problem I have
>>

> So far, at least two people have told you exactly what your problem is.
>
> So, one last try before I give up on you.  What does "free" show?
>
> derek at bella:~$ free
> Mem:       1025972     934844      91128          0         52     311512
> -/+ buffers/cache:     623280     402692
> Swap:      3004112      30280    2973832
>
> If the number in the "used" column for Mem is less than the number in
> the "free" column for Swap, you need a bigger swap partition [and before
> someone says how untrue that is, I know, it's just an approximation].

Here are the results of the "free" command. Somehow I missed your email
requesting the results of the "free" command. My email shows 3 threads
under the primary thread so I may have accidentally read your request
incompletely thinking it was a resend. I apologize! Thanks for your
tolerance.

ted at Ubuntu:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2596008 1453768 1142240 0 268616 510000
-/+ buffers/cache: 675152 1920856
Swap: 854272 500192 354080
ted at Ubuntu:~$

The above is with 5 desktops with at least 1 very big application and a
dozen small applications and including VNC.

Thanks -- Ted