Hibernation woes

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 8 16:26:09 UTC 2008

Michele wrote:

>> derek at bella:~$ free
>>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>> Mem:       1025972     934844      91128          0         52     311512
>> -/+ buffers/cache:     623280     402692
>> Swap:      3004112      30280    2973832
>>
>> If the number in the "used" column for Mem is less than the number in

[oops.  _greater_ than...]

>> the "free" column for Swap, you need a bigger swap partition [and before
>> someone says how untrue that is, I know, it's just an approximation].
>>
> Derek, according to what you wrote your swap partition is not big enough.
> Used: 30280 less than Free 2973832
>
> Did you mean the other way around? :-)

I did, thanks - but you're comparing the wrong numbers.

The "Mem:" Used amount is 934844 and the "Swap:" Free is 297382 - so I have
about 3 times the physical memory available in swap.  Normally, it's much
tighter, but the Hardy upgrade force a few reboots, and much of what I'd
usually be running hasn't been started yet.
--
derek