Hibernation woes

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 8 15:02:20 UTC 2008

Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Finally, I've had *buntu hibernating alongside windows on this laptop.

Not only that, I have hibernated Ubuntu, rebooted into an already Hibernated
Windows, hibernated that again, and resumed into the original Ubuntu.

> You can allocate a swap file, but I'll concede I don't know of a way of
> reserving it *only* for hibernation.

It's actually fairly simple to reserve a swap partition for hibernation
(iirc, create two swap partitions, and don't _mount_ the first
from /etc/fstab, you might need a "resume" boot option, too) - though why
you'd waste it I don't know - but I suspect it can't be done with a _file_
(not using the kernel routines, anyway - some of the alternatives might
work).
--
derek