Low WiFi rates (Hardy 64Bit, Intel Pro Wireless 3945)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu May 8 13:56:33 UTC 2008

Phil Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Phil Bieber <philbieber at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >  Since I switched to Hardy, I had quite low WiFi rates, but it didn't
> >  bother me as I was able to surf and load with ~70 - 100 Kbit/s. But
> >  now it dropped down to 700KBit/s, so it cant be the surrounding
> > setup.

Sorry, what is your speed? It was 70-100 kbit/s and now it dropped(?!??)
to 700 kbit/s? But whatever it is, even 700 kbit/s is really slow.

Did you check that you are the only person using the WLAN channel? If
there are others sharing your channel, the actual speed will be
decreased. Furthermore, did you check that there aren't others in your
neighbourhood using a nearby channel? For b/g networks there are only 3
channels (I think 1, 6, 11) which can be used without interference to
other channels. You can check the use of other channels with the command

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

> >  The card is an Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG inside a DELL Inspiron
> > 640m.

In a thread about another problem with the 3945 card on the ubuntu-de list
someone recommended these commands:

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy
sudo rmmod iwl3945; sudo modprobe iwl3945

I have no idea if that will help with a 64bit Hardy, but at least it is
worth a try.

Nils