vncserver unable to connect to host: Connection refused (111) 7.10

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Wed May 7 23:45:20 UTC 2008

primorec wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> short description:
> I am not able to connect to vncserver running on ubuntu 7.10.
> I've tried to connect locally and remotely to no avail
>
> starting server:
> [igor at thinkpad-T40 ~]$ vncserver
>
> New 'X' desktop is thinkpad-T40:1
>
> Starting applications specified in /etc/X11/Xsession
> Log file is /home/igor/.vnc/thinkpad-T40:1.log
>
> starting viewer on the same machine:
> [igor at thinkpad-T40 ~]$ vncviewer 10.188.26.175:1
>
> VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.1 for X - built Sep 10 2007 17:17:04
> Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
> See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
>
> Tue May  6 14:30:30 2008
>  main:        unable to connect to host: Connection refused (111)
>
> starting viewer on the remote machine:
> 502 palace:~ > vncviewer 10.188.26.175:1
> vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
> Unable to connect to VNC server
>

>  I can start viewer on the offending machine and work with any remote host.
> So, the vncviewer on the offending machine  (10.188.26.175) is working.
>
> So, the  problem is:
> vncviewer can NOT conenct to the vnc server on the same machine (aka
> offending machine)
> vncviewer on any other host can not connect to the vncserver on the
> offending machine
> but it connects to any other server on any other host.
>
> Any hint, advice, RTFM pointer, solution is more than welcome
>
> Please help
>
> Igor

I had a similar problem. If you are on the client machine (the machine
using the viewer) then you want to view the desktop of another machine
called the server. This means that the server machine has to be set up
properly. I think the error message you are getting is from the server
and therefore you cannot view it's desktop. On one of my XP machines
(the server) worked right off the bat. But on another XP machine I first
have to shutdown the server (see the server icon and it's properties)
and then I have to reactivate the server. When I do this a Dos window
opens which I minimize and the server icon reappears and the client can
then view the servers desktop. In other words, the sever is not
responsive even though it should be. Note also that you should initially
go to either the server or client properties (it is obvious which one
when you look at the properties of both) and make sure that the
authorize category does not require a password. That way your first
efforts are kept simple. Note that there are 2 icons for each machine --
client icon and server icon -- unless you only downloaded one of them.
Make sure you download the package containing both and that you download
for the kind of machine -- in my case XP and Ubuntu. If none of this
works (and I think it will) then in the services section of XP for
example and on Ubuntu make sure remote desktop is enabled and any other
service that might possibly be associated with the desktop. Do this only
if you have to get that detailed. I had checked for these services and
still had the problem until I shut down the XP machine and restarted the
server. If you do not have a server icon you can make one on XP by going
into Windows-Program Files-etc. and find the two executables -- viewer
and server and activate the appropriate one or drag and drop onto the
desktop to create an icon.

Thanks -- Ted
Let me know if you get it working. Make sure you have the Ubuntu viewer
and server.