Ubuntu Package Management

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed May 7 19:17:27 UTC 2008

chicharras wrote:

> First, is it the same to install a package using "apt-get install"
> than using the Synaptic Package Manager? I am interested in getting
> update notices through the Update Manager.

Yes.  Synaptic and Update manager are front ends to apt.

> Second, does the Update Manger inform of new versions/release of
> installed software? I just installed some updates to Open Office using
> the Update Manager. These updates where from version
> 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3 to 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.4, so I assume these are
> updates to the 2.3 version of OO.  But I see on the OO web page the
> availability of OO 2.4. Will Update Manager give me the option to
> upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4?

Unlikely.  Generally, the version of software included in a release is
not updated, so as to keep the release as consistent as possible..
Security fixes and important functionality fixes are often backported to
older versions of the software.  I don't really know how it all works or
what criteria is used to determine which software will be updated to a
new version, but I do know not to expect such from update manager.

Note that "backport" repos are there for the purpose of installing new
versions of software into existing releases of Ubuntu, at the cost of
not being officially supported.