Hibernation woes

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Wed May 7 18:59:12 UTC 2008

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 12:20:00 -0600
> Ted Hilts <thilts at mcsnet.ca> wrote:
>
>> 		It seems to be looking for the swap area (probably for
>> temporary storage).
>>

> Well, yes.
>
> When *buntu hibernates, it copies the contents of RAM into swap. If you have less swap than ram, hibernation will fail. If you are using more than 50% of (ram+swap), hibernation tends to fail IME.
>
> --
> Avi Greenbury

Avi

Well yes. But even if I remove every thing so that Ubuntu is not doing
anything and none of the windows are populated it STILL complains about
swap. I declare Hibernate (on my dual boot) as crazy!

Maybe - just maybe -- and this is just a wild guess -- but maybe due to
the dual boot it is looking for winswap which it cannot pick up because
Ubuntu is running and not XP. But regardless, if that is true there is
no way of giving Ubuntu hibernate function a specific swap or even
creating a swap specifically for Ubuntu hibernate. So, it is crazy!
There is no way out till a new distribution deals with this kind of
problem.

One thing I will say, ahem, I used the Ubuntu user interface and not a
command line. I have seen incomplete user interfaces on this
distribution as well as non functional user interaces.

DO YOU think I should "sudo pmi action hibernate" or "sudo pm-hibernate"
or some other command line???? My version is 7-10 Gutsy.

Thanks -- Ted