Server Questions

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Wed May 7 16:52:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Patton Echols <p.echols at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 05/06/2008 10:38 PM, Chris Mohler wrote:
>  > I would advise fleeing (screaming) from domain control.  Using a samba
>  > server for centralized file storage should be enough - you won't need
>  > peer-to-peer access in XP any longer.  Setting the samba machine to be
>  > the authority on the network should be sufficient.
>  >
>  > Every winboxen in the same workgroup, the samba machine in the same
>  > workgroup, and the samba machine as the authority has worked well for
>  > me in small, mixed networks with win98, win2k, XP and OSX machines all
>  > playing well together.
>  >
>  > Chris
>  >
>  >
>  Ok, what do you mean by samba as the authority, if not a domain
>  controller.  Is there some middle ground between the samba server being
>  another peer, and being a domain controller?

Sorry - I was up too late :)

I agree with the other comments - whether or not you implement domain
logon, you still need to resolve what's preventing your winboxen from
seeing each other. Throwing a samba server into the mix (at the
moment) may make things more confusing.

All I meant by "authority" (should have looked at the man page) was to
set the "os level" parameter high enough that samba becomes the "local
master browser".  If you only have XP boxes then the default setting
is fine.

Chris