wireless roaming

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Wed May 7 06:29:51 UTC 2008

On 05/04/2008 10:20 AM, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> Wireless networking is set up via /etc/network/interfaces.  It works fine,
> unless I visit the local coffee shop - different network, so it's a real pain
> to set up.  There must be an easier way - something that lists all available
> networks and asks "which one do you want?" .  I use kde and have tried
> knetworkmanager, kwifimanager and wireless assistant.  None of them does
> that - w/o a connection, no networks are listed.  Any advice, pointers, etc.
> appreciated.

Hmmm, I don't use KDE and don't know if knetworkmanager is the same as
NetworkManager.  I use NM and it works just as you suggest.  Click on
the Icon and it sees all the available networks.  It did take some
fiddling, For example, everything in /etc/network/interfaces needs to be
commented out except the loopback items.  Here is what mine looks like:
patton at Mycroft:/$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#iface eth0 inet dhcp

#auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp
 . . .

It also needed wpa-supplicant installed.  Though if memory serves, it
does not need to be configured.  And of course keyring manager to save
the various keys on private networks.  But pretty easy really.