Hibernation woes

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed May 7 00:52:10 UTC 2008

Alex Janssen wrote:

> Shannon McMackin said the following on 05/05/2008 04:01 PM:
>> I found tuxonice to be a much more favorable method for hibernation.
>> It's faster than a cold boot and much faster than the std hibernate.
>>
>> On my machine, cold boot from power-on to log-in takes about 60 seconds.
>>
>> Restore from std hibernate, about 75 seconds.
>>
>> Restore from tuxonice, about 40 seconds.

If you can cold-boot in 60 seconds why even both with hibernation?  With
everything I run, hibernate/resume is vastly faster than shutdown/reboot.

Still, tuxonice would be worth looking at, if it can cut resume time that
much.

My experience with a mere two hibernate/resume cycles since upgrading to
hardy is they seem vastly faster than they were in gutsy.  I'm skeptical.
--
derek