Hibernation woes

Alex Janssen alex at ourwoods.org
Tue May 6 01:52:45 UTC 2008

Shannon McMackin said the following on 05/05/2008 04:01 PM:
> I found tuxonice to be a much more favorable method for hibernation.
> It's faster than a cold boot and much faster than the std hibernate.
>
> On my machine, cold boot from power-on to log-in takes about 60 seconds.
>
> Restore from std hibernate, about 75 seconds.
>
> Restore from tuxonice, about 40 seconds.

I had to test this myself.  I have desktop effects turned off, as well.
My laptop is a Dell 1501 w/ 1GB RAM and 80GB HD.

To go into hibernate: 34 sec. to power down
To come out of hibernate: 47 sec. to password prompt, to desktop, a
couple of secs.
To shutdown: 27 sec. to power down
To reboot: 57 sec. to login prompt, to desktop, at least 6-7 secs.

When recovering from hibernate, my apps are all still running, so I am
productive almost immediately, but with reboot, restarting apps adds
considerable time to get to a productive point.
The bootup times above include the initial bios boot time + loading
Ubuntu.  When I got to the GRUB prompt, I pressed ENTER immediately.

I'd like to note that I used to hibernate 6.06 most of the time, but
never could get 7.04 or 7.10 to do it.  I am very happy that 8.04
works.  Thanks to whoever fixed it!

--
Ourwoods.org
 The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde (301)