Ubuntu 8.04 LTS upgrade from 7.10 fails

matt wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Tue May 6 00:13:17 UTC 2008

Hi Bob,

I ran into the same message as you, and the same disheartening answer, that
one or more of the dozen or so 3rd party apps I've installed is causing the
problem but that there is no way to know which one it is. Fortunately in my
case that turned out not to be true. There is a logfile:
/var/log/dist-upgrade/main-log. In there I discovered the precisely what
went wrong:

2008-05-03 22:13:39,777 DEBUG The package 'nvidia-glx-new' is marked for
removal but it's in the removal blacklist
2008-05-03 22:14:02,990 ERROR Dist-upgrade failed: 'An essential package
would have to be removed'

One single package, which I've had problems with before, and know how to
remove and reinstall. Getting rid of that one program is a lot better
prospect than blindly uninstalling from a long list of "say, you're not from
around here are you?" suspicious suspects.

cheers,

-matt