External Hard drive problem

gschaefr at comcast.net gschaefr at comcast.net
Mon May 5 23:55:01 UTC 2008

From: "Brian McKee" <brian.mckee at gmail.com>
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Linda Hanigan <haniganwork at earthlik.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 14:30 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >  > John K Masters wrote:
> >  <snip>
> >

> >  > > Regards, John
> >  > >
> >  >     Hi John if the format is blown on the Hard Drive you can't mount it
> >  > either but the HD can be fine.
> >  >
> >  > Karl
> >  >
> >  I suspect this is the problem.
> >  The usb drive lights up to show it is connected to the computer and
> >  power, but it does make a soft beep I hadn't noticed so maybe not.
> >  Should I try to format it same way I format an unmounted harddrive?
> >  The information isn't important since it is backup of working computers
> >            Linda
>
> If there's no device there in linux (no sdaX) then there's nothing you
> can do to try it....  Linux can't work with something it can't see.
> You might want to watch your system logs as you plug/unplug the device
> to see if it registers at all....  But it sure sounds like the
> enclosure has gone south.   New one is usually pretty cheap though....
>
> Brian

Linda,
Depending on how much of a "seismic" event your drive experienced
when you tripped on its power cord, it still could be the drive that's bad.
Installing it inside (assuming you don't have a laptop, which HAS no inside!)
is simple if you can do it yourself: you just power down, open, cable it up,
and reboot, having set the jumpers of course. If you have to take it to a
shop, the cost can approach the price of the drive. If you have or can get
another drive - even 4 GB is plenty big, which can be had, used, for under
$5 here - you could install that in your enclosure to check that part out.
Just open it, unplug your big drive, set jumpers, recable and try it. You
don't even need to reclose the case. You need to identify the problem
before you can fix it. Both these tests are cheap and fairly simple to do.

Jerry