Hibernation woes

Shannon McMackin smcmackin at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:01:42 UTC 2008

Keith Clark wrote:
> I just tried to put my desktop computer into hibernation by pressing the
> half moon key as I would have done in XP.  All seemed well, as the
> computer shut itself down in a matter of 10-15 seconds.
>
> Then, I tried to restart it by hitting the power button, like I would
> have done in XP.  Well, the system churned away and churned away.  The
> cursor would respond erratically.  Finally a password window came up and
> I entered my password.  It accepted it and a black screen came up.  All
> this time the hard drive is going crazy with activity.  This went on for
> about 15 minutes when I finally shut it down and restarted it.
>
> What was going on here?  Does hibernation work?  I thought it would be a
> faster way compared to the shut down and reboot option.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keith

Keith,

I found tuxonice to be a much more favorable method for hibernation.
It's faster than a cold boot and much faster than the std hibernate.

On my machine, cold boot from power-on to log-in takes about 60 seconds.

Restore from std hibernate, about 75 seconds.

Restore from tuxonice, about 40 seconds.