what is ssh-sgent?

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Mon May 5 17:07:36 UTC 2008

Chris G <cl at isbd.net> writes:

> If ssh-agent isn't there ssh is no less secure, in fact it's rather more
> secure because you're forced to enter your passphrase every time you do
> an ssh login.

If you leave your system unattended, then someone could install a
keylogger, and see what the ssh password is.

Me, I tend to do maintenance on two difference servers at the same time
(with key authentication). So, I only need to put in my password
protected ssh once, and then I can log into both without having retype
my password.

If you really want to type in your password, there is an timeout value
for ssh-agent.

Then again, I prefer sudo over su because I don't want to type in the
password every time I want to do a command as root.

--
John L. Fjellstad