Hibernation woes

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Mon May 5 16:43:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 23:12 -0400, Keith Clark wrote:
> I just tried to put my desktop computer into hibernation by pressing the
> half moon key as I would have done in XP.  All seemed well, as the
> computer shut itself down in a matter of 10-15 seconds.
>
> Then, I tried to restart it by hitting the power button, like I would
> have done in XP.  Well, the system churned away and churned away.  The
> cursor would respond erratically.  Finally a password window came up and
> I entered my password.  It accepted it and a black screen came up.  All
> this time the hard drive is going crazy with activity.  This went on for
> about 15 minutes when I finally shut it down and restarted it.
>
> What was going on here?  Does hibernation work?  I thought it would be a
> faster way compared to the shut down and reboot option.

Which version of Ubuntu are you running? On my gutsy system, there were
a few settings in /etc/default/acpi-support that I had to change in
order get hibernation and suspension to work when initiated from a
keyboard event, or from the Quit dialog. Well, part of the time they
work :/. Usually, when I want to suspend/hibernate I use the
powermanagement-interface tool. In a terminal, try entering this
command:

$ sudo pmi action hibernate

This works very reliably for me, YMMV.

--