Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5

komputes komputes at gmail.com
Mon May 5 14:28:58 UTC 2008

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Why this Beta was chosen to be included in Ubuntu 8.04

I ask myself that question every day. I think even thought it is an LTS,
it is still not ready and weeded out of bugs until 8.04.1 which will be
released in July (at the same time as firefox 3). In the meantime, if
you want to remove both copies and reinstall firefox-2 clean you can do
this:

1) export your bookmarks otherwise you will loose them (always backup)
2) sudo apt-get purge firefo*
3) delete ~/.mozilla
4) sudo apt-get install firefox-2

That way firefox 2 won't collide with anything remaining from firefox 3.
Until Firefox 3 is out of beta and more plug ins are supported. I'm
sticking with what's stable and works with my favourite plug ins.