Hibernation woes

jack wallen jlwallen at monkeypantz.net
Mon May 5 12:54:42 UTC 2008

> It takes about the same time as a reboot.  When it comes up the
> (k)ubuntu splash screen progress bar freezes and disk activity is
> constant because it's reading and starting all the app's from the file
> in swap.

<rant>

i'll preface this by saying "I am not a developer." but is this the
standard way to go about hibernation? i've yet to get hibernation to
work in my everex laptop using gOS or Ubuntu. i know it doesn't work so
i shut it down. i hate it but that's the way it is. but if it takes
hibernation the same time as a reboot - why bother?

hibernation/suspend is one of the achilles heels of linux and laptops
right now. i realize it's very much to do with hardware makers but
something has to give!

</rant>

--
jack wallen