how to install TV application on Ubuntu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon May 5 05:43:59 UTC 2008

loody wrote:
> Actually, I have no idea which application I need and I even have no
> any tuner card yet.
>
> I want to both see analog and digital tv.
>
> my questions are:
> 1. Which tuner card should I buy?

Have a look at <http://www.linuxtv.org>. There you find information about
hardware supported by Linux. But be careful to choose only fully
supported hardware, because if it is not yet fully supported, it may take
a long time (think years, not weeks) until you can really use your
hardware.

> 2. Does the tuner card that I can use must support video4linux or it
> depends on the package that I choose?

Video4linux is used for analog TV, not for digital TV. But as you want to
watch both analog and digital TV it should also support v4l.

Nils